The Gravity Base Structure (GBS) c/w Meteorological Mast was installed in the Eastern Development Area in Summer 2014 for Moray East OWF.
The integrity of the mast lattice structure was compromised during installation and as a result, requires to be decommissioned at the earliest feasible opportunity. Given the weight, size (33.5m x 32.5m x 16.0m) and position of the structure, a full assessment was required to determine the options for decommissioning. Considerable stakeholder engagement was required to identify suitable reception facilities and enabling assets to transport the structure.
Water Depth: 40m
Dates: Q1-Q2 2021
Project Reference: P0475
- Stakeholder engagement with port facilities and waste management contractors across the UK & Northern Europe.
- Assessment of refloat and tow options, identifying key enabling vessels and equipment required to facilitate operations.
- Investigation of potential load-in and dismantling / disposal options.
- Determination of permit requirements & timescales to be identified.
- Methodology and port assessment based on PESTLE analysis.
- Methodology for refloat and tow
- Identification of enabling assets and equipment
- Assessment of UK & European ports based on load-in capabilities
- Timeline on permits, licences, authorisations and consents.
- Stakeholder management plan
- Investigation of load-in & dismantling / disposal options
- Short list of recovery port facilities